[Zope-CMF] [Warning] Danger from Zope caching, especially the CMF Caching Policy Manager

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Dec 18 13:19:12 EST 2006

Jens Vagelpohl wrote at 2006-12-17 19:57 +0100:
>I don't know if it is possible to have any sane policy about "what to
>do if the response already has caching headers". First of all, when
>should this exception policy trigger? Which headers should tell the
>CPM that someone else already decided on caching? Secondly, what is
>the behavior supposed to be? "Do nothing"? "DWIM"? This obviously
>needs exact specifications and use cases.

The HTTP/1.1 specification tells us what cache-control headers are for
and we can deduce from it how to merge "concurrent" cache controls
when the aims of HTTP/1.1 are respected (ensure "semantic transparency").

I sketched this in the collector issue.

>>   * The CPM (and Zope's HTTP Cache Manager) must set cache headers
>>     only based on the object that generated the (complete) response
>>     entity and not based on other objects called during the request
>>     (and probably only responsible for part of the entity).
>
>As mentioned in my reply to your collector issue, there are fixes on
>the CMF trunk already and you should look at those to see if they fix
>your problem.

As I replied in the collector: I improves the state of affairs a lot
but it still only a partial solution...

--
Dieter