[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup: purging steps on new base profile

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Feb 1 14:45:44 EST 2006

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

>>> +1 (unless I misinterpret the desired behavior of switching between
>>> base profiles)
>>
>> Hm a side effect is that if you select the initial base profile, then an
>> extension profile, then the original base profile again, you won't have
>> what you expect.
>>
>> Because the "current base profile id" is not stored, there's no way to
>> do detect the change to a different base profile. Should I store that
>> property to allow for that use case?

Selecting a profile should never be destructive. Maybe I just want to
load new handlers or run a single import step.

But why not clearing the registries if a complete base profile is
*applied*? Even if it is the current base profile I can't see why we
would not want to do that.

> Yes.  In fact, I would prefer to be able to introspect both "current
> base profile" and "applied extension profiles" from the tool.

I don't want to go down that road. The next step would be to keep track
of the applied profiles a snapshot is based on. Things become more and
more complicated and we still can't rely on that information: Sites
created with older CMF versions don't have that information and manual
customizations can make it quite useless.

Cheers,

	Yuppie