[Zope-CMF] Re: RFC: PAS and the (non?) future of members

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Fri Feb 3 09:42:53 EST 2006

Rob Miller wrote:
> i'm wondering if it's not time to rethink the entire idea of members as
> they currently exist in CMF.  members were originally a necessary evil,
> because the user folder implementation of users didn't allow for enough
> flexibility to support CMF's needs.  now, however, PAS makes it possible
> to encapsulate all of the necessary behaviour in the user objects
> themselves, and it should be possible to eliminate the complexity of
> wrapping the user object altogether.
>
> over the last few days at the snow sprint here in austria i've been
> working on a Plone-based product called Membrane.  Membrane implements PAS
> plugins which allow portal content to be used as the authentication,
> property, group, role, etc. providers for users.  it's quite nice, i
> think, very flexible and powerful, and i think it contains ideas that
> might do well in CMF itself.
>
> even if the content-based plug-ins are not desireable, i think it's still
> worth investigating the use of PAS and the idea of deprecating the
> member/user duality altogether.  anyone else interested in this approach?

+1

CPS has been using using this route for a while and we never saw a need for
differentiating between users/members at the object level (Member role can
still be useful of course). In CPS, the memberdata/membership tools delegate
most of their operations to the CPSUserFolder or the user objects themselves
(which then often delegate operations to our "directories" but that's
another story).

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com