[Zope-CMF] Re: What's the story for using Z3 content types as first-class citizens in CMF?

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Feb 13 09:03:30 EST 2006

Hi Chris!

Chris Withers wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Alec Mitchell's plone_schemas product lets you use such types in
>> Plone, though he derives from CMF's PortalContent (as I recall) and
>> manually constructs an FTI.
>
> FWIW, I think this is an exceptionally bad idea.
> I'd much prefer to see CMF grow a way to use Z3 content types without
> having to drag them down into the mire that is portal_types and the
> actions system :-S

Portal types and Actions are fundamental elements of the CMF and not the
worst parts of it. GenericSetup makes it much easier now to maintain
their settings.

> Maybe some kind of parallel thing where the UI-level stuff amalgamates
> both the CMF and Z3 ways of doing things (portal_types/content types and
> actions/menus) with the aim being eventually to drop the old CMF stuff?

The underlying question is whether we want to drop support for TTW
development. I don't want that. So I prefer to keep portal types and
Actions until we have a suitable Z3 replacement.

But nevertheless I'd like to use Z3 content types instead of CMF
*content* types. And therefor we should agree on 90% of what has to done.

Cheers,

	Yuppie