[Zope-CMF] Re: RFC: backporting including python-package-product support to support Zope 2.8

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 05:56:47 EST 2006

On 1/15/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> >   2) work on the latest version of CMFonFive supported on Zope 2.8
> > (CMFonFive 1.2 svn branch) and provide a monkey patch for CMF 1.5 there.
>
> Why do we need to support CMF 1.5?

We probably don't, but: If we want to make the modification on
CMFonFive, we either must support CMF 1.5, or make a fourth current
CMFonFive version.

CMFonFive 1.2.x is for CMF <= 1.5.1 and Five <= 1.2 (And therefore
Zope 2.7 and 2.8)
CMFonFive 1.3.x is for CMF >= 1.5.2 and Five <= 1.2 (And therefore
Zope 2.7 and 2.8)
CMFonFive 1.4.x is for CMF >= 1.5.2 and Five >= 1.3 (And therefore Zope 2.9)

Now, to support Zope 2.8 and Zope 2.9 with these changes, we need to
put it both in 1.3 and 1.4, and we must then support both CMF 1.5 and
1.6. If we only want to support CMF 1.6, we need a CMFonFive 1.5.x
that is for CMF >= 1.6.0.

> CMFonFive version dance confuses the heck out of me, we should try to
> keep things simple.

Yes, I agree. So I think all of CMFonFive, including these changes,
should be in CMF 1.6. That ends the dance. It was a mistake to move
half of CMFonFive into CMF. We should have moved all of it in, and
called that 1.6 instead of 1.5.2 (but that's too late now).

Doing this however, means that CMF 1.6 will NOT support Zope 2.8. I
don't find that to be a problem, the "everything works with
everything" seems to be too much work. But others might not agree.