[Zope-CMF] Re: future of getToolByName

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:16:12 EST 2006

On 1/17/06, Raphael Ritz <r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> It was the promise that 'getToolByName' would always just do
> the right thing (TM) so that add-on developers would not have
> to worry. So why deprecating that now?

Because that promise has been completely revoked, since add-ons
developed for old versions of CMF will not work on Zope 3 anyway. ;-)

On 1/17/06, Rocky Burt <rocky at serverzen.com> wrote:
> Hmm... I'm not sure this is useful unless we map standard utilities to
> the equivalently functioning tool (which I don't think is a good idea).

Right, any tool that now exists must directly map unto a local
utility, and that local utility must also have the same API.

If we in CMF 2.0 feel that most tools should be made into utilities,
we could register the utilities with a name, and use the old tool
name. getToolByName could then both try local acquicistion, and do a
query for a generic interface (ICMFTool?) with the name.

The other option is to keep the tools, but also register them as
utilities. That would probably need some changes in the utility
registration, though, from the primitive implementation that is in
1.3.