[Zope-CMF] Re: RFC: backporting including python-package-product support to support Zope 2.8

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Tue Jan 17 18:43:40 EST 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> The broader point is we wouldn't really need it yet - we don't have any
> code that actually uses these new features, and plenty of code that may
> be  broken by changes in CMF 2. All in good time - of course, if you
> want to  help work on CMF 2.0 compatability for the 2.5 branch when it
> starts  stabilising, all the more chance we can get it into Plone 3.0 :)

i have every intent of pushing for Plone 3.0 to require CMF 2.X (for
some reasonable value of X).  in fact, my first efforts towards
GenericSetup and Plone integration were based on running Plone against
the CMF trunk.  it was then (correctly, IMO) decided that CMF 2.0 would
cause too much breakage to 3rd party Plone products, when the last major
release of Plone had already required most products to be rewritten.

one of the biggest motivators for creating CMF 1.6 and using it for the
basis of Plone 2.5 was so that it would be easier to do parallel Plone
development against CMF 2.0 without having to maintain separately two
entirely different site creation infrastructures.

-r