[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] i18n Message objects: encoding issues

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Jan 26 05:20:41 EST 2006

Hi Chris!

Chris Withers wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>>
>> 2.) Switch completely to unicode in CMF 2.0:
>>
>> Sounds like a too big change, don't think we should try that.
>
> I think we all know this is where we need to be eventually, 2.0 seems
> the right time to do that, I'd actually prefer this, even though it'll
> delay the 2.0 release...

Might make sense. But I'll not work on this on my own, so unless there
are other volunteers this is not really an option.

>> 3.) Use encoded strings and unicode side by side:
>>
>> This requires to know the encoding of the encoded strings.
>> 'default_charset' should provide that information.
>
> arrrgghhhhhhhh.... there be dragons...

I'm afraid we have to live with the dragons for a while.

>> 3.1.) Encode unicode strings before passing them to page templates:
>>
>> The unicode strings are only returned by newly added parts of the
>> code. So it might be easier to find all the places where a conversion
>> is necessary. On the other hand Message objects are also unicode, so
>> we would have to translate them before passing them to the templates.
>
> Yeah, okay, it'll work, but it sucks long term as it's even mroe code
> that needs to be "undone" when CMF goes fully unicode...

Thinking a bit more about it, I doubt this will work. The translations
returned by Five's translation service are unicode. And we can't change
them without monkey patching.

So I still tend to option 3.2.: Decode non-unicode strings before
passing them to page templates.

Cheers,

	Yuppie