[Zope-CMF] Re: DirectoryView, GenericSetup/skins, CMF 2.1

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Sat Jul 8 16:16:24 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-07 at 15:30 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Rocky Burt wrote:
>
> > I'm currently investigating registering DirectoryView's from regular
> > python packages with GenericSetup+skins.xml.  After debugging through
> > this somewhat I have discovered that minimal paths described in
> > skins.xml are made relative to $INSTANCE_HOME/Products.  Obviously in a
> > regular python package (living outside of Products) this means using
> > minimal paths won't work.  And of course since the actual location of
> > the py package will vary from deployment to deployment, the logical
> > approach would be to make the minimal path relative to the package home.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea's on this?  So far it looks like all other
> > major cmf functionality can be used outside in a regular python package
> > (living outside of Products).  Perhaps I'm missing something?  If this
> > is indeed the case ... would you all entertain a proposal/patch from me
> > providing a way to use skins from py packages that is b/w compatible
> > with the current approach?
>
> Hmmm, I thought this was landed already:  I worked that out back in
> November / December, I think, on the 'tseaver-pkg_resources' branch.

I just briefly inspected the tseaver-pkg_resources branch and I have a
few questions/comments:

 1. was this ever merged into trunk for cmf2.1 inclusion (my brief
comparisons leads me to believe it was not) ?

 2. it looks like the branch was put in place to make it so the cmf
files themselves uses pkg_resources so they can be loaded from eggs and
the like -- not that the paths pointed to by DirectoryViews could exist
outside of Products (relative paths I mean)

Perhaps I'm missing something?

I'd welcome a technical explanation as to what exactly the branch tried
to do and the ETA on inclusion into trunk.

Thanks,
Rocky

--
Rocky Burt