[Zope-CMF] Re: Abusing GenericSetup during traditional installs

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Jul 30 19:34:54 EDT 2006

Rob Miller wrote:

> maybe i'm missing something, but is there a reason why you wouldn't want
> to simply make your profile active and then import specific steps
> programmatically from within your install method, rather than invoking
> the import adapters manually?

Because in this case I wouldn't want to use extension profiles. :)

Basically, the use case would be that (a) I hate doing workflows by
python, but (b) I need to have a traditional quickinstaller-installable
product. That is, one that can be easily uninstalled and one which is
made available in Plone's "Add/Remove Products" configlet.

Thus, I was hoping to be able to re-use the syntax and import logic from
GS without using the actual profile mechanism.

I took a look at the tests yuppie suggested, but I'm a bit lost still -
there's a lot of base classes and roundabouts there, and I get confused
about the level of abstraction I'm looking at - XML bodies and elements,
properties and objects. I had to put it on ice whilst doing other things
for a while, but I'd like to revisit as soon as I can. If anyone has a
more complete and concise code example for this use case, please let me
know.

Martin