[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup: purging steps on new base profile

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Tue Mar 28 16:35:04 EST 2006

hi all,

i'm picking up a thread from january that sort of petered out...

yuppie wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>>> Because the "current base profile id" is not stored, there's no way to
>>> do detect the change to a different base profile. Should I store that
>>> property to allow for that use case?
>>
>> Yes.  In fact, I would prefer to be able to introspect both "current
>> base profile" and "applied extension profiles" from the tool.
>
> I don't want to go down that road. The next step would be to keep track
> of the applied profiles a snapshot is based on. Things become more and
> more complicated and we still can't rely on that information: Sites
> created with older CMF versions don't have that information and manual
> customizations can make it quite useless.

i, on the other hand, am very interested in being able to see which
profiles have been applied.  i don't think it's unreasonable to record
and expose this.  of course this can't be treated as the final word on
the current site configuration, but just because someone may have done
further manual configuration doesn't seem to me a good reason to make it
harder to figure out which profiles have been applied in the first place.

i'm going to cut a branch to experiment a bit w/ implementing this.  in
the meantime, this conversation can continue.  if the consensus ends up
being against these features, i can put any code from the branch in at
the Plone level.

-r