[Zope-CMF] Re: ImportError: No module named CMFActionIcons:1.5

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Tue May 2 06:57:38 EDT 2006

Quoth Wichert Akkerman <wichert-5HFq4VzZ2RFeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org>:
> Previously Sebastian Tennant wrote:
>> dzhandle does this, or something like this.  It creates a directory
>> structure in $INSTANCE/Products that mirrors /usr/share/zope/Products
>> and then symlinks each individual file in each directory to it's
>> counterpart.
>
> Ugh, I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. Forests of symlinks are
> not the easiest things to manage.

Yeah it's pretty ugly.  No doubt it's because dzhandle(1) tries to be
all things to all men:

  dzhandle is the command-line utility for handling Zope servers,
  instances and products. It is a system administration tool and a
  Debian/Ubuntu maintainer’s helper script at the same time: using
  dzhandle you can manage your Zope installations, create [and
  remove] instances, add [and remove] Zope products to them [and]
  start and stop them, [and] it [can] also used by the Debian/Ubuntu Zope
  packages for their installation and removal.

It doesn't mention versions above but it supports multiple versions as
well and it _is_ very easy to use.  For instance, installing CMF1.5
(and creating the directory structure and forest of symlinks) was a
one liner:

$ dzhandle -z 2.8 add-product z286one CMFCore CMFDefault ...

Ah!  And I've just remembered, you can chose whether to create symlink
files, directories or create copies.  More from dzhandle(1):

  -t ATECHNIQUE, --addon-install-technique=ATECHNIQUE
     How  to  install addons: ‘linked’ means the product
     or extension directory will be symlinked  into  the
     instance  home,  ‘tree-linked’  means the directory
     structure will be re-created and  then  files  sym‐
     linked, ‘copied’ means the file will be copied into
     the instance home.

I handn't grokked this when I issued the command and 'tree-linked' is
the default.

All in all, it seems like a pretty useful tool.

sdt