[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] translations for CMF

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon May 8 09:40:06 EDT 2006

Hi Jens!

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 7 May 2006, at 17:33, yuppie wrote:
>
>> Is anybody interested in translations for CMFDefault and CMFCalendar?
>>
>> There is a French translation of CMFDefault messages in the collector
>> (http://www.zope.org/Collectors/CMF/157) that is a bit out of date.
>>
>> I could provide an incomplete German translation of CMFDefault and
>> CMFCalendar messages.
>>

>> We could add them to the repository. Either in a separate product or
>> in the locales sub-directories of CMFDefault and CMFCalendar. But I
>> don't volunteer to maintain them.
>
> I'd be against putting them into the core because they would be
> bit-rotting the very second they got added to the repository. An add-on
> product would be the only way I could see this happen.
>
> I have a feeling that there are very few people around who use
> multilingual sites that are done in pure CMF.

Well. This is not primarily targeted at multilingual sites. Translations
are useful for all non-English CMF sites that use at least parts of the
default skins.

The default skin also demonstrates and tests many core features.
Providing at least one example translation would exercise the i18n features.

> Most everyone uses
> software on top of the CMF that comes with their own translations. It's
> a noble effort to try and create message translations, but I think it's
> doomed to failure unless there are dedicated volunteers.

Yes. That's why I'm asking.

Cheers,

	Yuppie