[Zope-CMF] Re: GS and the Toolset registry

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Nov 15 13:35:05 EST 2006

Alec Mitchell wrote:
> Tres,
>
> What are your feeling about this?  Is there a reason not to jettison
> the toolset registry, other than backwards compatibility?
>
> Thanks,
> Alec
>
> On 11/14/06, yuppie <y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de> wrote:
>> Hi Alec!
>>

>> Alec Mitchell wrote:
>>> So I've recently run into a bit of a problem involving the extension
>>> profiles and the toolset registry.  The issue is that if I install an
>>> extension profile that overrides one of the tools from the base
>>> profile, then switch back to the base profile (but not run any steps),
>>> then switch to another extension profile that provides a toolset step
>>> (which has no mention of the tool overridden in the first extension
>>> profile), the tool from the base profile will replace the tool from
>>> the first extension profile, even though the base profile was never
>>> re-installed and the second extension profile makes no mention of this
>>> tool.
>> I personally just ignored the toolset registry because I never needed it
>> and it never did get in my way.
>>
>> The issue you describe is annoying. Instead of working on a fix I'd
>> prefer to rip the toolset registry out. But maybe Tres knows why the
>> toolset registry exists and why it is still useful.

I don't think the registry is redundant:  it enables some
"bootstrapping" that would otherwise require writing procedural code.
Essentially, the overall "meta-profile" is defined via the three
registries:  required / forbidden tools, import steps, and export steps.

IIRC, extension profiles are not properly *supposed* to override the
base profiles tools, precisely for this reason.  They are not really
designed to be "reversible" either.

The "add-on" use case people are trying to shoehorn into extension
profiles is not really appropriate, especially if "reversion" becomes
part of the deal.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com