[Zope-CMF] Re: GS and the Toolset registry

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Nov 16 04:53:07 EST 2006

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Alec Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> The above is my primary concern (my only concern really).  Would it be
>> acceptable to make this change?  If we remove this call, the only time
>> the toolset registry is changed is when a toolset import step is run,
>> which seems very sensible to me at least.

+1 for removing the _updateToolsetRegistry call. AFAICS this would not
break anything.

> Yup -- changing the "baseline" is pretty rare.  I had a prototype at one
> point of a Properties form which showed available extensions and allowed
> them to be applied without changing the "current" profile, but lost it
> in a shuffle.  It should work pretty much the way the 'CMF Site' factory
> does now, I think.

AFAICT there are two reasons to make extension profiles the active profile:

1.) It allows to run selected steps from the extension profile.

2.) It allows to register new handlers without applying the profile.

Feature 1.) might not be necessary and an UI as proposed would be much
easier to use.

But feature 2.) supports an important use case: Using new setup handlers
for creating a snapshot of old sites. If we no longer allow to make
extension profiles the active profile, we need a different solution.
Either each product that provides additional setup handlers has to
provide a small profile that just registers the handlers. Or we use a
global step registry instead of using profiles for registering steps.
I'd prefer the latter.

Cheers,

	Yuppie