[Zope-CMF] Re: Getting started with CMF

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Nov 21 10:03:29 EST 2006

Hi Charlie!

Charlie Clark wrote:
> I've been on the list for a while but it mainly seems dev traffic. I
> hope it's okay to ask normal user questions!

Sure. The CMF is not focused on 'normal users', in the first place it is
a framework. CMFDefault is a sample implementation, its UI is not used
by many people. But you are welcome to use CMFDefault and ask your
questions.

> Is there a "getting started with the CMF" anywhere? I've done some
> fairly extensive searching but not come up with a great deal. As I'm
> fairly familiar with Zope I'm quite happy with the administration side
> of things but struggling more as a user. I realise Plone is CMF+ and
> lots of the Plone documentation is also applicable to CMF but if there
> is something out there I've missed I'd appreciate a link! And if there
> isn't I'm planning to turn my own notes into one.

Some documentation fragments are in http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/docs/,
but they were not touched for many years. Don't know if they are useful.

> Regarding the CMF itself - is there any point in refactoring some of the
> ZPT's to use CSS?

We plan to replace all skin methods and templates by Zope 3 style views.
All forms should be reimplemented using zope.formlib, so most templates
will become obsolete. We could need help with this new UI, but working
on the old one doesn't make much sense.

> And would it make sense to break out the user controls
> from the content itself?

I don't understand what you mean. What do you propose?

Cheers,

	Yuppie