[Zope-CMF] Re: Checking which version of the CMF is running

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Fri Oct 13 12:10:28 EDT 2006

Am 13.10.2006 um 17:29 schrieb Tres Seaver:

> That should work.  However, I think I would rather do "capability
> checks" than "version checks", e.g.::
>
>   try:
>       from Products.CMFCore.permissions import AddPortalContent
>   except ImportError:  # BBB, CMF < 1.5
>       from Products.CMFCore.CMFCorePermissions import AddPortalContent

I agree with this in general but still think there should be a
general way of checking the version of a Product just like Zope has
getZopeVersion() because that might help work out where to import
from. I was just surprised by the way it was done in this particular
module which if I read Formulator.__init__.py shouldn't even get
imported in CMFCore is around and then I looked at the Plone
installer which does it's own file system search, ie. I realise this
isn't a CMF issue but thought which version of the CMF is running
might be important to a lot of things out there.

Should I punt this to the zope-dev lot? Simply factoring out the
version checking code from App.Product.initialize_product() should do
the trick.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark