[Zope-CMF] Re: .metadata files, latin-1 vs. unicode, and encoding errors

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Sep 6 09:29:16 EDT 2006

Hi Jean-François!

Doyon, Jean-Francois wrote:
> +1
>
> Especially since the FSMetadata class isn't a mix-in so it turns out
> getting to the site instance's encoding isn't easy.
>
> Want me to file a bug?
>

> Florent Guillaume wrote at 2006-9-4 20:38 +0200:
>> I'd say it would be cleaner to let the .metadata specify its own
>> encoding, for instance with a # coding: utf-8 at the top, and pasrse
>> that in FSMetadata.
>
> I find this a good suggestions -- but would use the declaration syntax
> used also in (e.g.) Python.

I'm not sure I understand the plan. Encoding declarations usually
describe the encoding of the file, not the encoding used inside the
application.

Does that mean all metadata will be converted to unicode? And methods
that use the metadata - like tag() - will return unicode instead of str
values?

AFAICS a change like that requires many unit tests that make sure
unicode values don't cause any trouble and a migration strategy for code
that expects str values.

Cheers,

	Yuppie