[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup ATContentTypes global_allow

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Sep 21 10:22:43 EDT 2006

Raphael Ritz wrote:
> Tres Seaver schrieb:
> [..]
>>> The question is: how would you do that from an extension profile
>>> without replicating the entire 'File' fti for just this little change?
>>
>> Then you aren't making an "extension":  it is really a "base" profile in
>> disguise, as you want to control types "outside" your profile's scope.
>> I don't want to make it easy for "add-ons" to scribble on other people's
>> types (although yuppie's suggestion would work):  the model here is that
>> either you are configuring the site *as a whole*, or you are "extending"
>> it by making "well-behaved" extensions to it.
>>

> Fair enough; and I didn't want to imply that GS should support that
> "the old way" or make it easy; all I was trying was to explain
> Katja's question to Suresh - and missing the main point as yuppie
> pointed out. ;-)
>
> On the other hand I think Katja's question nicely illustrates that
> many of us (including myself) don't have a very clear cut picture
> yet as to when provide and use a base versus an extension profiles.
> It might seem trivial at first glance but given what people sometimes
> do in 3rd-party add-on installs today together with Hanno's work on
> the quickinstaller for Plone with respect to GS support and me
> currently "fixing/reviving" installTypes from Archetypes (we just
> cannot possibly break about 400 Plone add-ons in Plone-3.0 because
> of moving to CMF-2.x) ...

I appreciate both those efforts very much.

> People, at least in the Plone community, are used to the
> "download - install - test - uninstall" pattern when it comes
> to third-party extensions which isn't quite what GS has been
> designed for - I know. So there might be more questions ahead.
> That's all.

Sure.  Making 'uninstall' workable is one of the reasons I don't like
the idea of "extension" profiles which scribble on "foreign" types:
those kinds of effects are *really* hard to uninstall.  Making the stock
"File" content type addable inside *your* types doesn't cause the
problem;  makeing it *unaddable* anywhere *but* in your types seems a
bit rude, somehow. ;)

I would like for us to find a way to emulate the 'conf.d' model used to
package add-ons for Apache:  the add-ons make all their changes at
install / uninstall time by adding / removing files from that directory,
rather than by scribbling on the main config file.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com