[Zope-CMF] Re: Plone needs a release this week

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sun Aug 5 16:27:08 EDT 2007

On 5 Aug 2007, at 20:15, yuppie wrote:
>> I'm supposed to do a CMF 2.1.0 release today, but the state of
>> these issues is unclear. Wichert, did you look at it? There are no
>> checkins into either CMF or GS as far as I can see. Export now
>> yields this:
>> placeless component:
>>   <utility
>> interface="Products.CMFCore.interfaces._tools.IMetadataTool"
>>      object="portal_metadata"/>
>
> This is not what I would call placeless. My example looks like this:
>
> <utility component="foo.bar" interface="foo.IBar"/>
>
> 'foo.bar' is the dotted name of an object in a python module, not
> in the ZODB. The 'component' feature is not used by the CMF, but
> GenericSetup claims to support it.

If you're speaking about something that's not even used by the CMF
then that won't be a shostopper for the CMF. For GS, IMHO, this is a
bit of an esoteric feature. I don't know any place that uses it. If
there's a decision to be made between "get the goddamn release out"
and "wait until someone figures out this piece in GS" I'll choose the
first option.

>> the site root:
>>   <utility interface="Products.CMFCore.interfaces._content.ISiteRoot"
>>      object="SITE_ID"/>
>> I was able to import a snapshot that contained a componentregistry
>> export of this format, though.
>
> I guess this only works with a site that has the same ID and no sub-
> object with this ID. Not very reliable and confusing.

Well, I imported it into a site with a different ID. The "Components"
tab you provided shows the "old" ID, unfortunately. However, I don't
know if that makes a difference in real life or if it's just a
cosmetic issue.

>> Can I go ahead and roll a GS 1.3.1 and then a CMF 2.1.0 using GS
>> 1.3.1 or are there any showstoppers left?
>
> I made a list of things that should be fixed in my opinion. But I
> can't decide what is a showstopper and what isn't.

If it's not an obvious showstopper I feel it's not worth holding up
Wichert. Would you agree?

jens