[Zope-CMF] Why does GenericSetup remove indexes before adding them again?

Damien Baty (ML) damien at pilotsystems.net
Thu Dec 13 14:06:01 EST 2007

	Hello,

   If I define a catalog index with GenericSetup, GS kindly removes the
index of the same name if it exists, and then add it again. This is
probably a good intention. However, when I reinstall a product (in this
case, a Plone product), removing and adding back the index causes the
indexed values to be lost. If the index definition has not changed,
there is no real need to remove it and add it back.

   I wonder what is the reason why GS remove all indexes, instead of
comparing existing indexes with the ones listed in the import step, and
adding new ones and removing and adding back only those that have changed.

   (As an alternative, I could ask GS to reindex my index after having
added it. However, it might not be such a good idea, though, because
reindexing an index is expensive.)

	Regards,

--
Damien Baty
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris - France