[Zope-CMF] [GenericSetup] Adding expressiveness in XML or disperse setup in both Python and XML files?

Damien Baty (ML) damien at pilotsystems.net
Thu Dec 13 14:09:56 EST 2007

	Hello,

   After having been quite enthusiastic about Generic Setup, I am now a
bit disappointed. There are several use cases (see my recent message
about not being able to register a permission, for example) where I
cannot express what I want in XML. Obviously, I can write the missing
pieces in Python, but that would cause the configuration of the same
component (e.g. security policy, with roles and permissions) to happen
both in XML files _and_ in Python code. This is something I do not find
convenient. I would prefer having things compartmented (if not in one
file): one file for everything about roles and permissions, one file for
everything about indexes, etc.

   Then I guess I have a few solutions:
  - live with it :) That is, write what I can in XML and the rest in Python;
  - write almost everything in Python;
  - enhance GS importers so that I would be able to express more things
via XML. The obvious drawback is that adding expressiveness to the XML
schema will probably add complexity (and I am aware that this is
probably the main reason why some tasks cannot be done in XML) ;

   GenericSetup is quite new to me, so I would definitely appreciate
advanced users' feedback about that. What solution did (or would) you
choose, among those 3 above? Additional suggestions are welcome, too. :)

--
Damien Baty
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris - France