[Zope-CMF] Re: Tools as local utilities

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 18:18:42 EST 2007

On 2/6/07, Charlie Clark <charlie at begeistert.org> wrote:

> Am 06.02.2007 um 22:14 schrieb Rocky:
>
> > Ultimately the closer we get to structuring our code deployment like
> > regular python code the easier it will be to take advantage of things
> > like distutils, eggs, the cheeseshop, etc.  I look forward to doing:
> >   easy_install ZopeCMF
>
> I hate eggs and easy_install and for me they are not part of "regular
> python code" but reminiscent of script kiddy magic dust which I
> *really* don't want in my apps. I know what's driving it and I know
> it's unfortunately almost unavoidable but I don't have to like it.
> I've never had a problem with using Products especially since the
> introduction of "local" Products with Zope 2.7.

Except of course that the Products directory contain serious magic,
while eggs are part of regular python. ;-)

easy_install or not, I wouldn't mind seeing Products giving away to
lib/python/Products, but I'm not sure how that would work, considering
the magick that surrounds the support for having multiple
Products-directories.

--
Lennart Regebro: Python, Zope, CPS, Plone consulting.
+33 661 58 14 64