[Zope-CMF] Re: Tools as local utilities

yuppie y.2007- at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Feb 9 05:03:02 EST 2007

Hi Jens!

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> Let's get this discussion back from generic pie-in-the-sky to the simple
> situation where we just need this one package integrated into CMF 2.1,
> and quickly.
>
> Wichert wants a Plone 3 beta very very soon, there is no time to switch
> the CMF to any other packaging/buildout mechanism before that. What
> happens on the trunk after the 2.1 branch is cut, I don't care. I do
> care about getting the 2.1 beta out quickly. All that's missing is
> merging the tool/utility stuff, which depends on having this new
> component registry.
>
> Taking this into account, how should the five.localsitemanager thing be
> packaged?

five.localsitemanager will not be a CMF package and I doubt we can or
should convince the Five and Plone people to create a product instead.
So the canonical import will be from the Python path, not the Products path.

I don't think it would be a good idea to use different imports in CMF,
particularly because we might change things after 2.1 and site managers
are persistent objects.

Maybe we can use the same pattern as TextIndexNG3: The Python package is
shipped in a 'src' subdirectory of the product. The product's __init__
adds 'src' to the sys.path. The code could check if
five.localsitemanager already exists (e.g. in a Plone distribution) and
modify sys.path only if necessary.

This is a hack, but maybe good enough as a temporary solution for CMF 2.1.

Cheers,

	Yuppie