[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] tools-as-utilities roadmap

yuppie y.2007- at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Jul 5 12:58:27 EDT 2007

Charlie Clark wrote:

> Am 05.07.2007 um 17:12 schrieb Tres Seaver:
>
>> I think we have to leave existing REQUEST-acquiring APIs alone, but
>> deprecate them, and then implement them by calling *new* REQUEST-passing
>> APIs.  I would rather add methods than add hackery around the default
>> REQUEST argument, as it keeps the deprecation story cleaner.
>
> Sorry for asking the obvious but so I can understand things better can
> someone point me to a code example of a "tool" and a "utility",
> especially a migrated one.
>
> In terms of what we do to get the next 2.1 one out of the door:
> documenting both what has changed as well as what cannot be changed yet
> but will become deprecated is as important as making additional changes.

Grep for these comments:
"XXX: this method violates the rules for tools/utilities:"

They are followed by a short explanation and mark methods that need to
be fixed or replaced before they can become part of an utility API.

All tools listed here seem to work as utilities:
http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/CMFDefault/profiles/default/componentregistry.xml?rev=77358&view=auto

HTH, Yuppie