[Zope-CMF] Genericsetup design rules

Reinout van Rees reinoutvanrees at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 06:10:57 EST 2007

Hi all,

Is there a generally accepted rule for what generic setup (or a GS
profile, please pardon some possibly shaky terminology) is supposed to
do in case you have an existing list of things? As an example, take
the skins.xml. That's one of the better ones. You have "add-before"
and "add-after" or however they're called to position an *extra* skin
in just the right spot. But I don't believe you've got a "zap
everything, this is the new list" option.

There are some other profiles where you don't even have the option of
add-before or add-after. And purge=YESPLEASE also doesn't work in
quite a lot of cases (sometimes even giving parse errors). That
regularly makes me want to revert to doing such things in custom .py
files again instead of doing it nice and tidy
with genericsetup.

So:

* Is there some generic guideline for what a genericsetup profile, in
general, should implement?

* Some of those missing addBefore=.. things strike me as pretty
essential, is that something I could file bugs for or is it perhaps
intentional (as there is a better way to handle it)?

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees
reinout at vanrees.org