[Zope-CMF] Re: getToolByName depreciation, getUtility, and five.lsm

whit d.w.morriss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 12:07:53 EDT 2007

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>>> I would say that all of Acquisition is dark implicit magic and something
>>> I expect when developing in Zope 2. When using Zope 3 concepts in Zope 2
>>> I also expect the need to make the Zope 3 code Acquisition aware. One
>>> prime example are browser views, which I need to mix in Acquisition in
>>> order for them to work.

and if understand correctly, this is an artefact of views needing to
abide by traversal and security.  Any tool that does not expressly need
security can probably do without acquisition(unless it has code
depending on using aquisition for look ups).

>> But Products.Five.BrowserView hides that particular detail from you, as
>> much as getToolByName could hide the acquisition detail when looking up
>> tools.
>> You're suggesting to introduce yet another package that's destined to go
>> a way at some point, while the same functionality is already available,
>> it only needs to be un-deprecated...
>
> +1 for removing the "across-the-board" deprecation of 'getToolByName';
> I find Kapil's argument convincing here.  I think leaving the
> deprecation for the case where the API has to fall back to raw
> acquisition to find the tool is pretty reasonable, as it shows the user
> where the missing registrations are in her site.
>
> I'm not sure what impact that would have for the already-converted code
> which used to use the API.  I can see value both in leaving it
> converted, as showing the Zope3-ish way, as well as in reverting some or
> all of it.  For instance, perhaps we should consider reverting just
> those changes which look up acquisition-dependent tools, since the call
> site has now become required to manage the wrapper itself.

+1 to undeprecating and slimming lsm.

but to echo tres, only the roll back the calls you really have to.

-w

--

------ d. whit morriss ------
- senior engineer, opencore -