[Zope-CMF] reindexObject updates modification time?

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Mon May 28 00:57:49 EDT 2007

Hi list,

the reindexObject() method of CMFCore.CMFCatalogAware.CMFCatalogAware
updates the modification time on the object that it is indexing. Why is
this? It has implications for, eg, the new clearFindAndRebuild() function
in Plone's CMFPlone.CatalogTool portal_catalog - when run it updates the
modification time for every object on the site! I am confused, as, for
example indexObject() just a few lines up in the same code does *not*
touch the modification time.

It seems counter-intuitive to me that the simple act of indexing an item
in a catalog somewhere should really be implying a modification of the
object itself. I would have thought the modification time of an object
would really have been the domain of user-initiated modifications.

Hoping someone can shed some light :)

regards,
Darryl Dixon
Winterhouse Consulting Ltd