[Zope-CMF] Re: [Zope-PAS] Re: Eggification redux

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Sep 25 07:55:18 EDT 2007

On 25 Sep 2007, at 13:20 , Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2007, at 3:40 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> Charlie Clark wrote:

>>> While I am very sceptical about the move to eggs (I know it's
>>> inevitable) and I hope we can avoid some of the problems that
>>> seem to be affecting Grok as a result.
>>
>> Grok's problems are primarily related to the lack of a working set
>> definition for Zope 3.
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.

There are several problems.

* We've had to nail some of the versions because buildout was being a
bit over-zealous when getting eggs on Windows. It would take the
newest egg, despite the fact that other eggs had binary releases. I
guess that's not its fault. But it's a working set problem.

* When package A depends on Y and package B also depends on Y, but
with some version restrictions, buidout will first try to get the
newest version of Y when installing A. But then when installing B, it
is likely that it has to get a different version of Y. The result is
a version conflict. This could also easily be fixed with a working
set that dictates which versions would be used from the beginning.

* Even with newest=false enabled in grokproject's buildout.cfg
template, the versions that people will end up when trying out grok
are non-deterministic. This has led to people installing newer
versions of something, sometimes even faulty releases, even though
Grok hadn't been tested with these newer versions yet and older
versions that were known to work were the better choice. Again, a
working set problem.