[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup: How to use upgradeStep?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 02:36:12 EDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Maurits van Rees <m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
> When you want to remove an index or column you can do that by editing
> the profile and adding remove="True" to that index or column.  So this
> upgrade can be represented as a profile edit.  But applying the
> profile will empty the remaining indexes that are mentioned in that
> profile.  So ideally I would want to apply the profile only once when
> installing and rely on upgrade steps to handle any further changes
> without applying that complete profile again.
>
> It seems the new upgrade steps do not really solve this particular use
> case then.  (It can sure be handy for other things, no doubt about
> that.)  But I had hopes to use them to work around this issue with
> catalog.xml.  Apparently a workaround is no substitute for really
> solving the problem. ;-)
>
> Is anyone going to the sprints after the Plone conference who wants to
> take a shot at this with me?  Preferably someone with commit rights. :-)

Well, I made a monkey-patch that I haven't merged yet that only did
that if the index definition had actually changed, and that was quite
trivial. I would appreciate more people looking at this, since this
was so easy I get suspiscious. :-) So at the Plone conf seems a good
time.

> > performing a full upgrade, then, would require reapplying the profile
> > configuration and running the upgrade steps.  reasonably the quickinstaller
> > (or even the GS interface) could do this all as one step.
>
> Right.  Or a warning could be displayed: "This profile has upgrade
> steps available; do you want to run them?"

CPS listed all upgradeSteps whose version numbers where higher then
the numbers of the last upgrades, and had a button to run them. You
could also select which to run, and list old steps, and (re-)run them.

Since this is a merge of the CPS functionality (and thanks for that
Rob, I never understood why Nuxeo branched GenericSetup instead of
improving the original one, maybe there was a good reason) I hope
there may be something similar here?

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64