[Zope-CMF] [dev] GenericSetup and CMF dependencies

yuppie y.2008 at wcm-solutions.de
Sun Apr 20 16:21:26 EDT 2008

Hi!

Each Product has two lists of dependencies: One in DEPENDENCIES.txt and
one in setup.py. They are not in sync.

The setup.py files contain only 'setuptools' and 'five.localsitemanager'
dependencies:

Products.GenericSetup/setup.py:

       install_requires=[
           "setuptools",
           "five.localsitemanager >= 0.2",
#          'Zope >= 2.10',
           ],

Products.CMFCore/setup.py:

       install_requires=[
           'setuptools',
           'five.localsitemanager>=0.3',
           ],

all other setup.py files:

       install_requires=[
           'setuptools',
           ],

Until recently, the Products themselves didn't use setuptools. Revision
85287 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=85287&view=rev) changed that. It is no
longer possible to run CMF without setuptools installed.

Was that intended when setuptools was added to install_requires? We
always tried hard to keep CMF dependencies to a minimum. Will we only
support egg releases for CMF 2.2 and later, making setuptools required
anyway?

I'm just asking. If there are good reasons, I'm fine with adding the
setuptools dependency.

As soon as we have a decision, the relevant files should be updated. Can
we get rid of the DEPENDENCIES.txt files and specify *all* dependencies
in the setup.py files?

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

	Yuppie