[Zope-CMF] [dev] GenericSetup and CMF dependencies

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon Apr 21 02:59:23 EDT 2008

Previously yuppie wrote:
> Until recently, the Products themselves didn't use setuptools. Revision
> 85287 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=85287&view=rev) changed that. It is no
> longer possible to run CMF without setuptools installed.
>
> Was that intended when setuptools was added to install_requires? We
> always tried hard to keep CMF dependencies to a minimum. Will we only
> support egg releases for CMF 2.2 and later, making setuptools required
> anyway?

The eggified CMF already required setuptools to make sure the Products
namespace is setup correctly. Considering that entire python community
appears to be moving to egg, Zope2 is going to be distributed in egg
form (at least there is a strong move in that direction) I think a
dependency on setuptools is not problematic.

>From a Plone perspective CMF 2.1 will be the last CMF version we use as
products. Starting with Plone 4 we will be using the eggified version.

Wichert.