[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] GenericSetup and CMF dependencies

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Mon Apr 21 06:24:35 EDT 2008

yuppie wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously yuppie wrote:
>>> Until recently, the Products themselves didn't use setuptools.
>>> Revision 85287 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=85287&view=rev) changed
>>> that. It is no longer possible to run CMF without setuptools installed.

For those of you who didn't read the changeset, I used the version
number parsing code from setuptools in order to sort the versions inside
the upgrade machinery. I didn't want to duplicate the code to parse all
those cryptic version numbers like '3.1-rc1-dev-r42' and sort them
correctly. My reasoning for reusing the setuptools functions was, that
we seem to use them for package versions as well since some time and
they seem to be a reasonable standard.

>> Considering that entire python community
>> appears to be moving to egg, Zope2 is going to be distributed in egg
>> form (at least there is a strong move in that direction) I think a
>> dependency on setuptools is not problematic.
>
> I guess CMF 2.2 will be released before Zope2 or Python requires
> setuptools, so at least for now it is a GenericSetup/CMF dependency.
>
> http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/ still exists and needs to be maintained
> (or deleted). Who ever added the setuptools dependency should update
> INSTALL.txt and friends (if we agree to keep CMF trunk and the dependency).

I don't have a strong opinion on CMF/trunk. I don't use it, so I don't
have a particular interest in keeping it around. For me the dependencies
noted in setup.py are the canonical place and I would delete the
DEPENDENCIES.txt files from all packages on trunk and instead make sure
the ones in setup.py are current.

If we can agree on that, I can do the work and make sure INSTALL.txt is
current as well.

Hanno