[Zope-CMF] Why do we need types.xml and workflows.xml?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Jun 28 19:17:05 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

The GS handlers for portal_types and portal_workflow both require a
single file - types.xml and workflows.xml - that declares the objects,
and a directory full of files - types/*.xml and workflows/*.xml - to
initialise them.

However, in both cases, there is enough information in the per-item
files (id, meta_type) to make the types.xml and workflows.xml redundant.
Worse, it's easy to forget, and no warning that there are "orphan" files.

I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix to make types.xml and workflows.xml
optional (or even deprecated, though of course workflows.xml also has
bind information that should remain there).

Is there a reason to keep this repetition?

Martin