[Zope-CMF] CMF write performance as poor as Plone?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sun Nov 23 06:11:58 EST 2008

On 23.11.2008 11:57 Uhr, Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 23.11.2008 um 09:24 schrieb Andreas Jung:
>
>> This issue is independent of the client-side. ab2 and cmf/plone were
>> running on the same (fast) machine.
>

> Is this really content that is suited for the ZODB?

I am talking of the standard content-types that are available in CMF and
Plone like Document, News etc.

>I'm just thinking
> of an environment with lots of concurrent writes and content
> management doesn't spring directly to mind.

Write performance specially in Plone in always a topic in large
installations. Read performance is doable on large installations with
caching etc. But we know of several Plone projects that failed at some
point because you can't get a reasonable performance with lots of
editors working the same time with the system.

>If that isn't possible then you
> will probably have to look at using an RDBMS and even then you might
> need server-side optimisations for performance?

I just benchmarked that. I just wrote a a simple RDBMS-based Document
implementation (using SQLAlchemy and table inheritance for sharing
the dublin core table structure among different content-types). Against
a Postgres 7.4 database I could reach a performance of roughly 350
new documents per second with a pure python implementation. I am now
going to test the performance of the implementation with a CMF integration.

Andreas