[Zope-CMF] CMFActionIcons vs. new-style actions

yuppie y.2008 at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Sep 18 05:13:54 EDT 2008

Hi Jens!

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> This has now landed, in several chunks because it turned out to be
> more work and a larger change set than expected, on the CMF trunk.
> Silly me thinking most of my work was done when Yuppie thoughtfully
> added a icon URL expression property to the new-style actions ;-)

Sorry about that. The original plan was to get rid of old-style actions
completely, but I never finished that task.

> Additional work included...
>
>   - extend the "old-style" actions, those you see e.g. on a type
> information "Actions" tab in the ZMI, to also have a field for an icon
> URL expression

That might have been the most pragmatic solution, but in the long run we
should not maintain two different Action machineries.

I personally prefer to move all type info Actions to the actions tool. I
can't see a need to specify separate 'view', 'edit' or 'metadata'
Actions for each content type. That just makes it necessary to maintain
a lot of redundant configuration data. In how many places did you have
to set "string:${portal_url}/edit_icon.png"?

Some Actions like 'download' should only be available for specific
portal types. That makes things a bit more complicated, but can be solved.

If people really want to maintain separate Actions for each type, we
should consider to make type infos containers for new-style Actions.

Cheers,

	Yuppie