[Zope-CMF] Best use of source numbers in GS upgrade steps?

yuppie y.2009 at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Apr 16 09:23:40 EDT 2009

Hi Maurits!

Maurits van Rees wrote:
[...]
> Probably not relevant here, but for completeness sake:
>
> - Poi branch 1.1 has 1.1.x in its version.txt and does not have a
>   metadata.xml.
>
> - Poi trunk has 1.2.x in both its version.txt and metadata.xml.
>
> I know that it is best to use both files (or a version in setup.py
> instead of version.txt) and that both versions need not be the same at
> all.  But this is the current situation.

If the profile hasn't changed between 1.1 and 1.1.x, the profile version
should be the same. Your problem is caused by giving the same profile
different version numbers.

> Question
> --------
>
> So my question is: is this a sane way of doing this?  Is it alright to
> specify a version (or really a profile revision) as source when that
> version does not yet exist?  It works fine as far as I can tell.

AFAICS this will not work with GenericSetup trunk. Maybe you want to
show the upgrade step for *all* versions before 1.2? In that case you
don't specify any source version.

BTW: The relevant behavior is quite inconsistent in GenericSetup 1.4. I
added several tests and cleaned up the behavior on the trunk:
http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Products.GenericSetup/trunk/Products/GenericSetup/tests/upgrade.txt
Please let me know if I did break useful behavior.

Cheers,

	Yuppie