[Zope-CMF] IndexableObjectWrapper

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:21:32 EDT 2009

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2009, at 11:08 , Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>> I think we all agree on this. In retrospect, it would've been a better
>> idea to push for plone.indexer to be a part of CMF. However, I
>> implemented it driven by Plone's release cycle and feature proposal
>> process, which is why it ended up as it did. *I* want this feature for
>> Plone, but it'd be even better if others could benefit.
>
> IMHO the release cycle argument doesn't wash. We've always had CMF
> releases in preparation for important Plone releases, and I'm happy to
> continue that.

I'm not arguing. I'm saying that it didn't really cross my mind, because
I was improving something that was already Plone specific (the
ExtensibleIndexableObjectWrapper) in response to a Plone demand and
working towards a Plone deadline. Hindsight is a good thing, and maybe
it would've been better to try to all of it down into the stack. In this
case, I didn't.

Except that I kind of did... I created a package with no other Plone
dependencies, in the hope that it *could* be useful. I didn't take the
time to discuss it on this list, which I should have. However, the
desire for it to be re-usable by other CMF consumers is clearly in evidence.

>> Of course, it's not too late for that. If the license issue can be
>> overcome (and I'm pretty sure that it will by April/May), then CMF can
>> depend on plone.indexer if it so wants, and I'm willing to help make
>> that possible if it means changing plone.indexer or helping with the
>> CMF
>> level implementation.
>
> Thanks, I appreciate that.
>
> Generally, I think now that the ZF has cleared up the remaining issues
> about code ownership etc. we finally have two entities, the ZF and the
> Plone Foundation, that are the perfect platform for "official" issues
> like code donations, or for coordinating other cooperation issues. I
> can't judge how the Plone Foundation acts within the Plone community,
> but as far as the Zope Foundation goes, Martijn has been doing a lot
> of work to make it more relevant and an important player in the actual
> software development process.

Indeed!

Bear in mind that the Plone Foundation has an explicit goal *not* to
interfere with software development. However, it does deal with issues
of IP and so I agree the two foundations are the right forum for this
type of thing.

>> In the future, it may be that we can meet in the middle on this. When
>> the PLIP process kicks off, it'd be good if the CMF developers had a
>> look in as well. We should probably be better at announcing the
>> various
>> deadlines and proposals on this list, but if you guys see something
>> that
>> you feel would be a good fit further down, it doesn't hurt to raise
>> that, lest the developer hasn't thought about it.
>
> Is there any kind of low-traffic announcement list for things like
> PLIPs? I'm not subscribed to any Plone list because of (for me at
> least) signal to noise ratio fears.

There's plone-announce, but I don't think this was announced there. I
actually think the Plone release manager should cross-post a few
important announcements to this list, though.

The actual feature discussion happens on the medium-traffic
framework-team list, which you can join. In fact, it'd be great if you
did, as we'd appreciate your input, but I realise it may not be
something you want to spend a lot of time on.

Martin