[Zope-CMF] Products namespace for eggs

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu Sep 24 08:01:32 EDT 2009

Am 24.09.2009, 13:52 Uhr, schrieb Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com>:

> In my understanding: packages using the Products namespace are subject
> to be registered during the startup phase of Zope (using their
> initialize()
> method). And I think there is some other evil path magic within Zope
> related to products in general...I think nothing has changed between
> Zope 2.11 and 2.12...but I could be wrong.

setuptools replaces that evil magic with its own! But at least you do have
to specify which eggs you will be using. There's no longer a folder which
will magically add any modules in it to sys.path. Now, as long as you
declare the egg in buildout and add it to site.zcml and configure the egg
correctly you're sorted. Maybe it's the five:loadProducts stuff in
site.zcml that's keeping us tied to Products. A namespace change isn't
that important and probably is a lot of fairly uninteresting work for
little perceived gain.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark