[Zope-CMF] Products namespace for eggs

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Sep 24 08:09:09 EDT 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 14:01 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> Am 24.09.2009, 13:52 Uhr, schrieb Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com>:
>
>> In my understanding: packages using the Products namespace are
>> subject
>> to be registered during the startup phase of Zope (using their
>> initialize()
>> method). And I think there is some other evil path magic within Zope
>> related to products in general...I think nothing has changed between
>> Zope 2.11 and 2.12...but I could be wrong.
>
> setuptools replaces that evil magic with its own! But at least you
> do have
> to specify which eggs you will be using. There's no longer a folder
> which
> will magically add any modules in it to sys.path. Now, as long as you
> declare the egg in buildout and add it to site.zcml and configure
> the egg
> correctly you're sorted. Maybe it's the five:loadProducts stuff in
> site.zcml that's keeping us tied to Products. A namespace change isn't
> that important and probably is a lot of fairly uninteresting work for
> little perceived gain.

Renaming provides less than little perceived gain. It adds serious
pain because then you must go about registering your package manually,
you must change imports all over, and you force every package that
depends on the CMF to do the same. Besides, the different CMF packages
are standard Zope2 products. Leaving them in the Products namespace
makes that very clear.

jens