[Zope-CMF] Products namespace for eggs

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Sep 24 09:16:45 EDT 2009

Charlie Clark, on 2009-09-24:
> Am 24.09.2009, 14:09 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org>:
>
>> Renaming provides less than little perceived gain. It adds serious pain
>> because then you must go about registering your package manually, you
>> must change imports all over, and you force every package that depends
>> on the CMF to do the same. Besides, the different CMF packages are
>> standard Zope2 products. Leaving them in the Products namespace makes
>> that very clear.
>
> While I'm convinced of the little gain (and even more so of the extended
> pain), I think that the move to eggs will over time make the Zope Products
> idea redundant. I guess this is why Plone has dropped it. Anyway, I'm glad
> we had the discussion as it helped me understand better how things fit
> together. :-)

Plone has not dropped the Products namespace.  Sure, you can add
Plone==3.3.1 to your eggs now, but the namespace specified in the egg
is still Products.CMFPlone.  Any package in Plone core that is still
in the Products namespace is likely not going to change its name.
Completely new packages generally get the plone.* namespace, but
existing widely used ones we do not touch.

Personally, I am the maintainer of Products.Poi.  It will take more
than one bottle of whisky to convince me to rename that. ;-)

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/