[Zope-CMF] [dev] some small changes

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Wed Jul 31 12:11:39 CEST 2013

Am 09.07.2013, 09:33 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2013 at wcm-solutions.de>:

Hi Yuppie,

> Hi Charlie!

> Thanks for your feedback. You didn't reply to the list, so I just reply
> to you. Feel free to bring this back to the list.

It was just me being stupid and confused by another list that defaults to
reply to user - I'm on several which are configured differently and it's
all too much for my little brain!

> Charlie Clark wrote:

>> Am 05.07.2013, 10:48 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2013 at wcm-solutions.de>:
>>> - rename '@@view.html' to '@@view', '@@properties.html' to
>>> '@@properties' and so on. This allows to remove some method aliases.
>>
>> -1
>>
>> Call me a stick in the mud but I always like to associate a mime type
>> with a file extension.

> I know what you mean, using '@@view.html' and '@@properties.html' in CMF
> was my idea. But meanwhile I think differently:

> Paths like "site/foo.pdf/edit.html" look strange. File extension are
> useful if you want to save files to a file system that has no other way
> to keep track of the mime type. But you don't want to save views that
> have a visible name. You want to save the object using the default view
> and the name of the default view is invisible. So the object needs a
> file extension, not the view.

I don't think I'm entirely convinced about path logic. I guess any of
these conventions are dependent upon what you're doing. Fortunately,
traversal means that we generally don't need to worry too much about the
name we use and extensions in view names are useful only in a minority of
cases, such as, say, .ics for events. I just like the explicitness. OTOH I
also realise that this is somewhat historical - extensions are good way of
distinguishing between views and TTW stuff when entering URLs directly,
like developers but not users do.

> And: These names are already hidden behind aliases, for type specific
> views they are just used internally.

This is probably the biggest reason so no more objections from me.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director