[Zope-DB] Problem installing ZPoPyDA and PoPy

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:28:00 -0400

--MS_Mac_OE_3083729280_88895_MIME_Part

on 9/18/01 8:32 PM, Klaus Schniedergers at klaus.schniedergers@windriver.com
wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to get ZPoPyDA up, but fail because it can't find the PoPy
module.

Is this the correct way to install PoPy (on Solaris 2.7)?
($zope is my zope root directory)
 - untar PoPy 2.0.8 in $zope/Zope-2.4.1-src/lib/python/Products
 - ./configure (including some options to find the Postgres and mx headers
and libs)
 - ./make; ./make install
   This installs PoPymodule.so in $zope/lib/python2.1/site-packages

After restarting Zope, I don't see the PoPy module in the Zope management
UI;
should it show up there? Also, as mentioned, ZPoPyDA doesn't find the PoPy
module.

Please help, and ignore my stupid question...I'm just starting to dive into
Zope and Python. Also, any pointers to FAQs or instructions that might help
are appreciated.

Thanks
Klaus

Hi Klaus;

The PoPy support needs only to be visible to the DA; the rest of Zope won't
know/care.  I'm not up on PoPy, so I cant answer detailed questions, but I'd
guess that you need to do a couple things:  set some environment variables
to tell code where things are, or maybe copy the PoPymodule.so file to the
ZOPE_ROOT/lib/python/Products/ZPoPyDA directory.

It also looks like you're using a pre-built Zope, hence the
$zope/lib/python2.1/site-packages -- I'm not sure if that really changes
things; but it may mean that you used a different Python to build PoPy with.
I'd double check that you have a PoPy that's built against python2.1 not
Python 1.5.2 or python 2.1.1 or anything else.  Easy way to check that is to
run Zope's python module manually and try to import that shared object:

     {pathtozope's}python

     >>> import popymodule

If it spits out load errors thats a problem.

--MS_Mac_OE_3083729280_88895_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Zope-DB] Problem installing ZPoPyDA and PoPy</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 9/18/01 8:32 PM, Klaus Schniedergers at klaus.schniedergers@windriver.co=
m wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I'm trying to get ZPoPyDA up, but fail because it can't find the PoPy modul=
e.<BR>
<BR>
Is this the correct way to install PoPy (on Solaris 2.7)?<BR>
($zope is my zope root directory)<BR>
 &nbsp;- untar PoPy 2.0.8 in $zope/Zope-2.4.1-src/lib/python/Products<BR>
 &nbsp;- ./configure (including some options to find the Postgres and mx he=
aders and libs)<BR>
 &nbsp;- ./make; ./make install<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This installs PoPymodule.so in $zope/lib/python2.1/site-=
packages<BR>
<BR>
After restarting Zope, I don't see the PoPy module in the Zope management U=
I;<BR>
should it show up there? Also, as mentioned, ZPoPyDA doesn't find the PoPy =
module.<BR>
<BR>
Please help, and ignore my stupid question...I'm just starting to dive into=
<BR>
Zope and Python. Also, any pointers to FAQs or instructions that might help=
<BR>
are appreciated.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks<BR>
Klaus<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Hi Klaus;<BR>
<BR>
The PoPy support needs only to be visible to the DA; the rest of Zope won't=
 know/care. &nbsp;I'm not up on PoPy, so I cant answer detailed questions, b=
ut I'd guess that you need to do a couple things: &nbsp;set some environment=
 variables to tell code where things are, or maybe copy the PoPymodule.so fi=
le to the ZOPE_ROOT/lib/python/Products/ZPoPyDA directory. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
It also looks like you're using a pre-built Zope, hence the $zope/lib/pytho=
n2.1/site-packages -- I'm not sure if that really changes things; but it may=
 mean that you used a different Python to build PoPy with. &nbsp;I'd double =
check that you have a PoPy that's built against python2.1 not Python 1.5.2 o=
r python 2.1.1 or anything else. &nbsp;Easy way to check that is to run Zope=
's python module manually and try to import that shared object:<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;{pathtozope's}python<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&gt;&gt;&gt; import popymodule<BR>
<BR>
If it spits out load errors thats a problem.
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3083729280_88895_MIME_Part--