[Zope-DB] User keyed database DA

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:38:02 -0400

Charlie Reiman wrote:

>Hi folks. I've notice a recurring request for user-specific database
>connections. Since I need one for the project I'm working on and none seems
>to be available, I went ahead and modified two existing products to get what
>I need.
>
>So consider this an announcement and a request for feedback. Here's what I
>currently have:
>
>exUserFolder: minor modifications to allow extraction of the clear text
>password from the user cache and to identify this product as modified.
>Please note the password is already stored in the cache so I'm not creating
>any security holes. I hope...
>
>DCOracle2: extensive modification to support user-keyed connections. There
>is a timeout cache of connections plus a raft of other changes. The standard
>anonymous connection is still supported.
>
>And here's my question:
>
>Should I distribute this? I've been programming Zope and python for about 2
>weeks now and I'm probably doing Bad Things. Getting this setup to work is
>pretty complicated. On top of that, I don't want to step on anyone's toes
>and start randomly forking active Products. There's also a host of
>limitations: It doesn't (and won't) work with arbitrary DAs and I have no
>data on how this would affect the number of active connections.
>
>Let me know what you think. And one more thing: Would zope-dev be a more
>appropriate mailing list for this discussion?
>
>Charlie Reiman
>Kefta.com

Hi Charlie --

Well,  I recommend putting up a member folder on www.zope.org and say
"come hither" when you have patches like that.  At least for the base
Zope, doing per-user connections isn't something that's likely to go
into the core soon.  The same goes for ZOracleDA -- since the DA design
isn't changing (although trust me, it wants to be changed).  Because
it's not something that everyone needs (or at least, not something that
everyone who needs it can agree on how to do it) you're best off just
staking your claim and seeing how many people find it usefeul.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/