[Zope-DB] variable names from DCO2 sql-method

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:28:59 -0500

Smith, Neil wrote (responding to Dario responding to him):

>I guess that Zope or DCO2, or whatever is doing it, is just trying to be
>nice and to go some way to making it look like this sort of behaviour.
>However I would have thought that it is more trouble than it is worth.  For
>instance, it makes it possible for someone to get the results of the SQL
>method, do something to modify one of the variables, then refer to another
>case form of the variable name and wonder why it hasn't changed.

Yes, the Result.py file in Shared/DC/ZRDB has casts of column names to
lower and upper case for aliasing.  It's not really part of DCO2, but is
there to prevent column naming inconsistencies in application programs.
 Most RDBMS cast column names to upper case, and so if the aliasing
wasnt there you'd never be able to use "<dtml-var column>" rather you'd
have to have "<dtml-var COLUMN>" and that would drive people bonkers.

>Still I guess even if someone thought it should change, it would break
>existing code if it did, so I guess it's pointless.  I just thought I'd ask.
>
>>PS: is it possible for you to trim your sig a bit w/o you getting killed
>>
>by
>
>>Company Policy Police?
>>

>No, the rubbish isn't in my signature, it gets added by Outlook Server after
>I've sent it.  I wish I could get rid of it, but I can't.

Yes, by some clever notion that they can create a binding contract by
simply notifying you of terms, lawyers (largely in the UK) have been
tacking those annoying messages on to mail for a few years.  They're
largely unenforceable unless you have a business relationship with the
other party.  The fact that it is applied to emails where it clearly
doesn't belong weakens its validity in my mind as well -- it implies
there is editorial control being exerted at the server which to me
engenders a more hightened liability than would otherwise be the case.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/