[Zope-DB] Catalogs vs. Postgres

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:33:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, J Metz wrote:

> Just a quick question.  I'm working on learning Catalogs but am having
> some issues with them.  My friend is working on the postgresql
> integration with Zope, because of file size/backup issues.
>
> I've checked the archives, but can't find anything in here about the
> differences between them in terms of advantages/disadvantages.
>
> Can someone help me out with the proper usage of each?
>
> Thanks,
>
> J Metz

In a very brief nutshell: ZCatalogs will give you fairly sophisticated
natural-languagesque searching; ZCatalogs will be slower; ZCatalogs will
bloat your Zope Data.fs

PG will require that you write the search piece yourself; PG can be much
faster (assuming you have good indexes on your tables and/or cache your
tables); PG data need only be in PG.

Why not read the old threads then tell us more about what you want to do?

J.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant