[Zope-DB] Maximum Zope objects in a database

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:24:25 -0400

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 02:08:10PM -0700, zope@120sp.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are trying to determine whether or not zope will be able to handle a
> database with the size that we require. We are looking at having 250,000
> objects right from the start and may climb past 2,500,000 objects or more.
> I have been looking through all sorts of data and info about zope and it's
> ability to scale, but they are usually talking about the web server built
> into zope. What I need to know is how well zope will handle a database with
> that  many objects in it. Also, it would be nice to know how large the
> databases are that are in actual use and how well they perform.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Mark Fisher

If you are using an external database, this is really not a zope
question at all.  It comes down to how fast the database can prepare and
execute the query.  And this depends on all sorts of database
optimization, on system RAM, probably filesystem layout, etc.

Note that the ZSQL methods typically simply send a query as a string to
the database system.  They do not generally do prepare operations,
stored queries, etc.

This sounds like the kind of situation where you do want to use an
external database.  I have nothing nearly that large.  The largest I
have is about 64,000 records.  But, I see no zope-related bottleneck.

Jim Penny