[Zope-DB] Maximum Zope objects in a database

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:01:42 +0200

zope@120sp.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are trying to determine whether or not zope will be able to handle a
> database with the size that we require. We are looking at having 250,000
> objects right from the start and may climb past 2,500,000 objects or
> more. I have been looking through all sorts of data and info about zope
> and it's ability to scale, but they are usually talking about the web
> server built into zope. What I need to know is how well zope will handle
> a database with that  many objects in it. Also, it would be nice to know
> how large the databases are that are in actual use and how well they
> perform.

Since Zope keeps the database in the file system you'll run
into the 2GB file size boundary many file systems have. Also,
from a customer I know that as soon as Zope comes close to those
2GB it starts making problems.

Such volumes are better stored in an SQL database. They easily
scale far beyond 2GB and also provide a much more flexible
access method, namely SQL.

I'd recommend looking at Oracle, Sybase, DB2 if you have the
skills in your company, or simply SAP DB which is an
open sourced high performance database branched from Adabas
and maintained by SAP.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH