[Zope-DB] Oracle Storage

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:28:49 -0400

Michael Havard wrote:

> I remember reading a statement, either in the DCOracleStorage
> documentation or from a user, that in using DCOracleStorage you lost
> the ability to "version". My searches of the lists and zope.org failed
> to turn anything up.
>
> Question:
> Is this true?
> What exactly does it mean for the user or developer?
> Are there any other "lost" functions when using Oracle Storage vs. the
> ZODB?
> Is there any documentation about how to use version in ZOPE?

I'm fairly sure you do not lose the ability to version with
DCOracleStorage, but I dont use versioning, so that's not something I
lean on a lot.

The transient storage used for sessions in Zope 2.5+ is a non-versioning
storage, however.

Versions are the ability to say "I'm going to 'fork' this object and
work on it privately."  Versions can then be commited to the mainline.
 However, versions don't play well with catalog data and thus are very
infrequently used.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/