[Zope-DB] Re: Re: ZOracleDA again...

Doug Winter dwinter at icpeurope.net
Tue Dec 9 04:31:36 EST 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:42:18 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:

>> I've just deployed this in test and then production (I really need this
>> fix!) and made the various code changes required (using db.query() instead
>> of db.cursor.execute(), which I presume is in fact canonical), and I can
>> report that it is working.
>
> How come you had lines containing db.cursor.execute() in your code?

I think "because I suck" is probably the right answer :)  When I
originally wrote the code, that's what I came up with.  I had problems
finding useful examples and documentation so in the end I just
experimented until I found something that worked.

Incidentally, previously in places I was calling db.cursor.fetch_one(), in
a case where I needed to test each row before deciding if I needed more
(with a test I couldn't implement in SQL).  Now db.cursor has gone, how
can I do this?

>> Watching the oracle connections on the oracle server side, it appears
>> to be happily releasing connections, keeping a single connection open
>> per zope server.  I've put some load on it too, and it seems to be
>> reusing connections correctly.
>
> That's great :-) Have you noticed any changes in speed of response, etc?

It seems equivalent in performance - we've got some very complex queries
and they took around 6 or 7 seconds to execute, and they still do :)

Cheers,

Doug.

020 79610341 / 07879 423002 / dwinter at icpeurope.net
3 Waterhouse Square, Holborn Bars, 142 Holborn, London EC1N 2NX
www.businesseurope.com   www.icpeurope.net   www.venturedome.com
1024D/1AB26B8C C88E DC6D A578 DEFB C493  A44D 0156 0479 1AB2 6B8C